The East Asia Working Group covers the following countries: Japan, Hong Kong, Korea, Macau, Mongolia and Taiwan.
Working Group key activities include:
- Increase refugee voices through effective advocacy strategies.
- Organise awareness raising events that address xenophobia and highlight the contributions refugees make to host societies.
- Seek opportunities for roundtable discussions with different stakeholders.
- Engage with governments through advocacy, lobbing and collaboration.
- Advocate for alternatives to detention and the monitoring of detention facilities.
- Encourage cooperation on resettlement programmes between the countries where refugees are being resettled and the destination countries.
- Expand training on psycho-social support, interpretation, alternatives to detention and statelessness.
Resource sharing and outreach:
- Facilitate good practice exchange through online meetings, Google Groups, social media and the website.
- Outreach to civil society in under- and unrepresented countries e.g. China and Mongolia.
- Raise awareness on North Korean refugee issues.
Working Group Chairs:
Chair: Il Lee (Advocates for Public Interest Law, Korea)
Deputy Chair: Piya Muqit (Justice Centre Hong Kong)