Leading up to the 2016 Annual UNHCR-NGO Consultations, the theme of which is youth, UNHCR and the Women’s Refugee Commission, with INGO and NGO partners from the Youth and Adolescents in Emergencies Advocacy Group (YAE) began a Global Refugee Youth Consultation process. The Global Refugee Youth Consultations took place across four continents. Each of these national consultations brought young refugee and national youth together to examine the issues that youth and refugees face and to make recommendations for future action, highlighting what youth can do themselves.
The outcomes of these Global Refugee Youth Consultations have been fed back to the UNHCR, other UN agencies, NGOs and donors and were shared during a Global Youth Consultation in Geneva and during the Annual UNHCR-NGO Consultations in June 2016, with a comprehensive report on the process and outcomes being launched in October 2016.
APRRN is a member of the YAE group and the regional lead for the Asia Pacific Region. Whilst APRRN’s engagement is initially focused on supporting the Global Refugee Youth Consultation process, APRRN does not foresee its role stopping there and is keen to explore youth issues as a core component of its work, and will continue to push for the inclusion of youth voices into the future.
- To create structured spaces for young refugees to have a voice and engage in participatory dialogue with other youth and relevant stakeholders at local, national, regional and global levels;
- To improve access for young refugees to local, national, regional and global youth alliances and networks;
- To foster and support participation, leadership and empowerment opportunities for young refugees; and
- To consolidate and channel the learning from the consultations into the development of guidelines and policy recommendations on youth-inclusive programming, to improve the humanitarian sector’s understanding of, and work with, young refugees.
Primary APRRN Activities
APRRN was thrilled to be working as the regional lead in Asia to further the goals of the Global Refugee Youth Consultations and help make refugee youth voices heard.
- Consultations and Workshops
- APRRN assisted in the hosting of national youth consultations in Pakistan. These are a part of the global project (see above).
- Members in various countries organised parallel consultations across the region. At present this included Thailand, Australia and New Zealand among others. Outcomes from these consultations will also feed into the Global Report.
- During the 6th Asia Pacific Consultation on Refugee Rights (APCRR6), APRRN will host a workshop on and with refugee youth. This will focus on how civil society can support the participation of refugee youth.
- Video Project
- An exciting multimedia component is a video project to collect stories from refugee youth across the Asia Pacific region. This video was used as an advocacy and awareness-raising tool at the 2016 UNHCR Consultations and at the upcoming 6th Asia Pacific Consultation on Refugee Rights (APCRR6).
- Watch the “Voices of Refugee Youth” video HERE!
- In Geneva
- APRRN and its members supported the physical participation of refugee youth at the 2016 UNHCR Consultations with NGOs.
- APRRN in conjunction with its members prepared a briefing paper that highlights the primary issues of concern and suggests solutions.